I think we all want to grow whether it’s to become better spouses, better parents or greater leaders and influencers in the world around us. Some of us really want to grow in our faith while others are struggling financially and need to see a growth in their income. Wherever you may be today you are reading this because you want to grow and I have written this to help you do just that! Here are 3 keys to help you see the growth you want to see in your life:
1. Invest in yourself
Most of us NEVER do this! And to be honest I don’t know why! Sure we are busy, sure we spend most of our time doing what other people want us to do (boss, spouse, kids, etc.), so once it finally comes to us we are exhausted and we just want to veg! We want to do NOTHING because all day everyday we do EVERYTHING! Often we are too busy and we do too much even for our own good. This causes us to be out of whack, unhealthy, and sometimes go a little crazy! The solution: take time for yourself and love yourself in a HEALTHY way! Here are three practical ways to do this:
- READ: There is no better way to grow in any area than to read up about that specific area. If you are wanting to learn more and grow in the area of health, faith, leadership, parenting, or finances find a book about the topic of choice and start reading! (If you are a slow reader or simply not a fan watch training videos or listen to audio courses or audiobooks)
- EXERCISE: Nothing gets the blood working like some good cardio! Not only does exercise help with blood circulation but it also helps sharpen memory and increase creativity and thinking skills. You will feel better, think sharper and be more focused on improving and growing!
- SLEEP: If you’re burning the candle at both ends you aren’t setting yourself up for growth and improvement in life, rather you are setting yourself up for setback and failure. Don’t buy that lie! You will quickly get burnt out and the work that you are doing to grow won’t be focused or fruitful. Set yourself up with success each day by getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night. You will be more productive in the hours that you are awake and you will have more focus and energy to invest in growth!
2. Remember The Power of Association
I’m sure you’ve heard the old saying, “Birds of a feather flock together.” Well, it’s true! Another saying a friend’s grandpa once told me was, “You can’t run with the turkeys if you want to fly with the eagles!” The power of association is greater than many of us realize. The Bible tells us that bad company corrupts good character and I’ve always preached, “Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future!”
Our inner circle matters more than we think. For years I’ve sought out successful leaders, entrepreneurs, people who clearly hear God’s voice, are financially successful and happy in their marriage. Why? Because I want to surround myself with people who I know I can learn from. And you should do the same! The power of association also works by reading books and taking online classes (as I mentioned above). Wherever you are seek out good company, find people that are where you want to be and pick their brains, ask questions, just get around them and listen (you will be glad that you did)!
Never underestimate the power of prayer, more things are accomplished by prayer than this world dreams of! Do you want to see improvement and growth in your relationships, finances, family, faith, business, or ministry? Then why not pray for growth in each of these areas! You would be amazed at how many prayers for growth are in scripture! Just to share a few the Apostle Paul prayed for us to grow:
- In our knowledge of God’s love for us (Ephesians 3)
- In our understanding (Ephesians 1)
- In our relationships (Philippians 1)
- In our effectiveness (Colossians 1)
So, no matter what area it may be, if you want to see more growth, pray for it!
- Invest in yourself
- Remember the power of association
I’d love to hear feedback and other keys to growth that have helped you in your journey! Please share below!